The Online Security Awareness Course
This course is aimed at individuals and groups who are travelling to or are already working in a low to medium risk area. This blended learning course includes a short pre-course reading assignment and a short pre-course introductory video followed by approx 6 hours of live online training using Zoom. The online sessions are:
Session one “Introduction and Risk assessment” will:
- Introduce you to threat & risk assessment.
- Explain briefly what types of security plans should be in place.
- Make you aware of the most likely indications that the security situation could change.
- Explain the usual organisational responses to a worsening situation.
- Point out the importance of having a grab bag prepared and what should be in it.
- Explain the importance of research and planning.
- Talk about Relocation and Evacuation Plans.
Session two “Basic Security Awareness” will:
- Ensure that you understand that you are primarily responsible for your own security.
- Show how and why you can protect yourself when using airports, taxis and public transport.
- Describe what precautions you can take in relation to hotels, accommodation, walking around an area, carrying cash and valuables, travelling in vehicles.
- Explain that by taking basic precautions you can decrease the risk from animals and insects.
- Look at the main natural disasters we may encounter and how best to keep ourselves safe from them.
Session three “Sexual Violence / Assault” will:
- Explain the precautions and actions that can be taken to avoid sexual violence/assault.
- Go through the procedures to be followed in the aftermath of a sexual assault.
- Discuss organisational responsibility.
Session four “The Main Identified Threats” will:
Introduce you to the main threats that you could encounter and how best to prevent/avoid/deter/deal with these threats. This session will include information on:
- Riots and demonstrations
- Getting arrested
At the end of each session, there will be a short question/answer period to ensure the learning outcomes have been achieved. We have also included a session at the end of the course to allow for a review of the course and the content.
The participants will be asked to complete a course evaluation form. Certificates will be issued to the participants who successfully complete the course.
The cost of the Security Awareness Course is €100 + VAT and is normally delivered over two days.