Online Hostile Environment Module
This module is aimed at individuals and groups who are travelling to or are already working in a medium to high-risk area. This blended learning module includes a short pre module reading assignment and a short pre module introductory video followed by approx 11 hours of live online training using Zoom. The online sessions are:
Session one “Introduction and risk assessment” will:
- Introduce you to threat & risk assessment.
- Explain briefly what types of security plans should be in place.
- Make you aware of the most likely indications that the security situation could change.
- Explain the usual organizational responses to a worsening situation.
- Point out the importance of having a grab bag prepared and what should be in it.
- Look at the main natural disasters we may encounter.
Session two “Basic Security Awareness” will:
- Ensure that you understand that you are primarily responsible for your own security.
- Explain the importance of research and planning.
- Show why and how you can protect yourself when using taxis and public transport.
- Describe what precautions you can take in relation to hotels, accommodation, walking around places, carrying cash and valuables, travelling in vehicles.
- Explain that by taking basic precautions you can decrease the risk from animals and insects.
Session three “Sexual Violence/Assault” will:
- Explain the precautions and actions that can be taken to avoid sexual violence/assault.
- Discuss the actions an individual can take if an assault is imminent.
- Go through the procedures to be followed in the aftermath of a sexual assault.
- Discuss organizational responsibility.
Session four “The Main Identified Threats” will:
Introduce you to the main threats that you could encounter and how best to prevent/avoid/deter/deal with these threats. Including training on:
- Riots and demonstrations
- Getting arrested
Session five “Negotiation Strategies” will:
- Introduces the participants to the main communications and negotiation strategies that will assist them in dealing with officials, checkpoints, and awkward individuals.
- Consist of both a lecture and role-plays.
Session six “Introduction to Explosives” will:
- Introduce you to the main types of landmines in use.
- Explain how to keep yourself safe from them.
- Explain where you might encounter UXOs – Unexploded devices.
- Show you what to do if you encounter landmines or UXOs.
- Go through the procedures to be followed if come under fire or shelling.
- Explain where IEDs (improvised explosive devices) are likely to be used and the procedures you should take to protect yourself from them.
Session seven “Kidnap” will explain:
- The importance of conducting assessments.
- The procedures you should use to avoid kidnap.
- How best to survive a kidnap.
- Your organization’s responsibility.
At the end of each session, there will be a short question/answer period to ensure the learning outcomes have been achieved. We have also included a session at the end of the module to allow for a review of the course and the content.
The participants will be asked to complete a module evaluation form. Certificates will be issued to the participants who successfully complete the course.
The cost of the security awareness module is €200 + VAT and is normally delivered over four days.
Regular clients and organisations sending 4 or more participants may avail of a reduced fee.